Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Guest post - The sports maven speaks

From Adam Samuel:

Just come back from Lausanne to find that my video failed to record a certain Rugby match. It's tough providing the necessary analysis on the basis of highlight reels. The French defence was clearly at fault for the Lewsey try. A lack of Pallister/Bruce - esque attacking of the ball going on on the part of Traille. The high tackle on Robinson was definitely high. More to the point, perhaps, conceding one try in two games will help a great deal. Has our defence been that good?
Anyway, happily, the final is a Saturday night here. So, I have no excuse. My concern is that with the big South African pack, I cannot see where our advantage lies. I always suspected that we could beat both Australia and France upfront. I think that we'll have to handle the South Africans a little differently.
One thing that is apparent is that all the plaudits for Brian Ashton were right. It's one thing to coach the best team in the world to the World Cup Final (2003) but the sixth best (NZ, SA, Australia, France, Ireland in that order were probably regarded as better at the start) is a bit special.
Anyway, on Saturday, I'll be missing you horribly and thinking of trudging through the rain four years ago and trying not to soak Bishop while removing my layers of waterproof clothing. Actually, fancy a trip to London?
More seriously, I subscribe the Mike Brearley Headingley 1981 fourth inning approach which accepts the likelihood of defeat but the possibility of victory. South Africa look the better side from what I've seen but if you can stop the other side scoring, interesting things begin to happen.

No comments: